The Best Is Yet To Come Posted on May 15th, 2012 by

Springtime at Gustavus is unbearably beautiful. There is nothing like constant sunshine to draw your focus away from the homework still to do and looming final exams. Luckily, I’ve had some time to sit outside and get a good sunburn amidst the final stretch, and I can’t help think that the hours spent worrying about class work are numbered. It won’t be long until I sit in the grass in the glory of Senior Week without any regard for academics. What am I going to do with all of this freedom?

I’ve been asked the question a lot lately: What are you going to do after college? Luckily, I’ve got a few plans in place in order to transition from my undergraduate education into the next chapter of my life. I happen to be going to work as a camp counselor in Montana for the summer, and then I will be doing a volunteer internship with an organization in India. The sunshine isn’t the only thing making it difficult to stay focused in my classes. What’s great is that the big picture is sketched out for the next few months, and that’s important. It’s good for my peace of mind. But my life is not defined by my job or my title. I’ve learned as much from my time at Gustavus. My life is given meaning by how I am living.

People often describe college as the best four years of their lives, and it’s true. Where else do we get to live a life of such abundance? When else will we learn so intently, perform at the caliber of Gustavus sports, music, forensics, and theatre? When else will we be surrounded by people who care about our success, who come together in times of need, who will take the time to go out and just have fun? The last four years and the community at Gustavus have given me the space to shape and more fully understand my values, and for that I am so grateful. And, what is more, I get the chance to be true to those values, the experiences and the lessons that shaped me, out in the wild blue yonder where my knowledge and my character will be put into practice.

Margaret Wheatley is a visionary thinker in organizational behavior and leadership, and she sheds some insight on this subject. She has observed that people in times of fear revert themselves to old methods. Organizations that once sought new ways to inspire creativity and momentum fall back on the times that brought them comfort when confronted with difficulty. At this point in American history, difficulty abounds: The job market is a mess, and all the division we are seeing in the Lutheran church and between leaders of our country is not making the solutions any easier. But, if the best four years are over for these Gusties, who is going to step up to the plate to shape a brighter future?

Photo by Brita Gilyard ’11

The world is thirsty for people who have yet to discover the best years of their lives. The rich life that I’ve discovered at Gustavus is so relevant to the adventure I am about to encounter. Imagine the possibilities if the best years of my life are just beginning.

The thirst for lifelong learning and the discovery of human potential that Gustavus has taught the students is ours to keep, and more importantly, ours to share. Wherever we go, and whatever we wind up doing, it’s the values lived out and shared with others that will continue to build a better world.